What is Early Intervention?
While all children grow and develop in unique ways, some children experience delays in their development. Children with developmental delays and disabilities benefit from The Pennsylvania Early Intervention program, a state supported network of parents, service practitioners, and others which builds upon the natural learning opportunities that occur within the daily routines of a child and their family.
- Provides support and services to families with children birth to age five, who have developmental delays and disabilities
- Supports services and resources for children that enhance daily opportunities for learning provided in settings where a child would be if he/she did not have a developmental delay and disability.
- Provides families’ independence and competencies.
- Respects families’ strengths, values and diversity.
- Physical development, including vision and hearing
- Cognitive development
- Communication development
- Social or emotional development
- Adaptive development
Parents who have questions about their child’s development may contact the CONNECT Helpline at 1-800-692-7288. The CONNECT Helpline assists families in locating resources and providing information regarding child development for children ages birth to age 5. In addition, CONNECT can assist parents by making a direct link to their county early intervention program or local preschool early intervention program. To make a referral for early intervention, please call the CONNECT Helpline at 1-800-692-7288 www.connectpa.net.
Links to Publications:
Resources from the Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention:
The Backpack Connection Series is a group of handouts produced by the Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention. They provide tips for parents and teachers to help children with their social emotional development. Please click the thumbnail pictures below to view each Backpack series handout.
The images below show just a few of the Backpack Connection Series titles. The pamphlets and many other resources are available from the Technical Assistance Center on Social Emotional Intervention at this address: http://www.challengingbehavior.org